Sunday, December 6, 2009

Junking in Florida

After the fantastic Christmas light display at DeFuniak Springs we drove across the panhandle to Lake City for two days, no special reason, just needed a place to break up the long drive, so we wandered around there for a bit. The only thing that happened was the weather alert radio going off letting us know that some really bad storms were heading our way, we just can't seem to get away from the bad weather this year. The storm was going to hit this area around noon so we did what we normally do, we packed up early and made a run south to get set up before the storms.

We got into Wildwood around 11AM and the temperature was pushing 80. We had one day of great weather and did a day's worth of junking (driving around and hitting all the thrift stores in the area). I found a gem, actually a radio, years ago I gave my GE SuperRadio to my son-in-law Don, because I thought that I had bought a better one, WRONG and I've regretted it ever since. Well today at one of the thrift stores, right as they were announcing that they were closing in ten minutes I looked down on the bottom shelf and there it was, an original GE SuperRadio. Two more people were approaching this area looking at other radios on the shelves so with disregard for my own personal safety I flung myself through the air and tackled the prize before anyone else knew what was going on. Lying on the dusty floor I rolled over and forced my swollen eye open (think I hit the handle of a hedge trimmer in my flying leap) and saw the price tag, $4.50. Don't tell me there's no heaven because I'm there right now. Back home I cleaned it up and other than a little problem with the on/off switch (which I fixed) it's just like new.







Now I can still out under the stars tonight and listen to all the long distance radio stations and see how far out I can reach with this thing, that is I could if it wasn't raining cats and dogs and the temperature wasn't dropping down into the 40's tonight.
Now normally I would take the blame for bringing this weather with us since it's been following us all season. All of our Florida friends would agree that it was definitely our fault, but at least ten other units pulled into camp the day after we did so it had to be one of them. We're going to go out and walk around to see if we can figure out who to blame for this.
To quote Governor Huckabee, “I didn't do it, Don't blame me.”

Time to batten down the hatches and lock ourselves inside for a weekend of great college football and so-so Pro ball.

No comments: